Monday, October 17, 2011

The Flaming Forest

Every autumn in Vermont, Nature bestows one last spectacular riot of color on those of us priviledged enough to live here-- warm blazes of reds, yellows and oranges to keep in memory and warm us through the long, frigid winter to come--the color of flames, the color of passion, the color of carnelian and amber gemstones. Some of us call it "The Flaming Forest".

Taking my cue from what's around me is one of my tried-and-true methods for putting my senses ahead of my technique. I find if I lose myself in color and texture first, the design will blossom from this pure inspiration and the piece will express my unconscious intentions more fully.

I actually started this necklace back in the summer, after finding some polymer beads in my stash that I had forgotten about, my "Little Bumblebeads". These were based on the “watercolor” technique invented by Maggie Maggio, an artist that has pioneered an amazing color system and method for use with polymer but that can be applied to any medium. Her blog is very enlightening and expands on the color theory outlined in the recent book co-authored with Lindly Haunani, Color Inspirations.

Little Bumblebeads

The watercolor technique beads were a perfect complement to my husband Douglas' repousse leaf pendant, which he made a few years ago. It was languishing forgotten in one of my many boxes of work-to-be-completed until I decided to punch up the copper color with some heat patination. That brought out some beautiful metallic lustres and then I added a twisty wire bail.



I've been experimenting for a while with layering my necklaces, wearing two similar ones together for a more sumptuous look but I make them as separate strands in case I'm wearing something more casual. I recently purchased one of my dear friend Erin Prais-Hintz's beautifully-crafted owl charms, from her recent Simple Truths collection. It's nicely abstract and not too cute--looking more totemic-- more like the true essence of this noble creature. I really didn't have a use for it in mind when I bought it but soon realized that it was a perfect focal for the inner strand of my composition.


Owl from Erin's "Simple Truths" collection


"Wisdom" necklace - inner strand

The outer strand necklace was completed by the addition of Czech glass beads and leaves, larger Bumblebeads, and a magnetic clasp. Color of autumn, color of maples, the Flaming Forest.


The Flaming Forest


Heartwood earrings



8 comments:

  1. I LOVE the colors! Gorgeous mix and so inspiring! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a spectacular combination - just like the maple trees in your 'neck of the woods'! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Miss Christine! Thank you for not only seeing the simple truth in that little wise woodsy owl, but most for giving him a place of honor in this spectacular creation! I am so delighted to see him all grown up but most be called a dear friend. Because you are someone I admire and respect and to have you say those words of me is my 'something good' today!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. so aptly named... the design is perfection - and i have to tell you that i would have to wear the ensemble... even in a v neck tee and jeans... i just realized that i have some of those beads of yours in my dragon's hoard... i haven't touched them because i do so love them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your work and your beads - the necklaces together are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous combination! I really like the way the beads around the owl look like falling leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine, what a beautiful intro to your work - sharing the colors of the Fall leaves in VT. I could really see the forrest you described in my mind's eye.
    Your necklace is really stunning. I love multi-strand necklaces as well and their versatility. I love both pieces together but can also see how pretty each would look on their own. Your Heartwood earrings really complete the ensemble! I agree with Mary Jane - I'd love to wear them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like those earrings. Lots of detail and elements but they look so light and delicate and yet dramatic too. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete